When it comes to wellbeing, employers often find themselves challenged by how to approach a shift from a traditional wellness model to a comprehensive and holistic program that supports the whole person. Below you'll find this week’s curated list of wellbeing resources. Feel free to share these resources, as appropriate, with your team. Have a safe and healthy week!
- How to Tell Your Boss You’re Burned Out – Almost half of U.S. workers report feeling burned out as a result of pandemic-related factors, such as remote work and longer hours, fear of unsafe working conditions, and concerns about job security. Many people experiencing this kind of burnout report having done nothing about it. Health experts agree that untreated burnout can put your mental and physical health in jeopardy. After taking the first step of admitting you’re experiencing burnout, follow these steps to prepare to have an honest, productive conversation about it with your boss — they’re in a unique position to help you.
Social & Family Wellbeing
- Talk Less. Listen More. Here’s How. – When was the last time you listened to someone? Really listened, without thinking about what you wanted to say next, glancing down at your phone or jumping in to offer your opinion? And when was the last time someone really listened to you? Was so attentive to what you were saying and whose response was so spot on that you felt truly understood? This piece by Kate Murphy, the author of “You’re Not Listening: What You’re Missing and Why It Matters” discusses how we can reclaim the lost art of listening.
- Second Stimulus Check: What You Need to Know – After months of debate, Congress and President Trump finally approved a second COVID-19 relief package in the last days of 2020. Dave Ramsey shares how to find out if you qualify for the second check, what to do if you don’t receive a second check, and what to do once your check arrives.
- The Best Online Workout Classes of 2020 – If you’re looking for a new online workout to try in 2021, here are 18 different programs to consider. These programs span Pilates, strength training, barre, and more!
- 7 Food Waste Apps for Saving Money AND the Planet – It’s estimated that between 30-40% of the entire food supply in the US is wasted each year. Doing your part to cut back makes all the difference. There are companies that send “ugly” produce to your door that would have gone to waste, and apps that enable you to volunteer your time to transfer fresh food from grocery stores to those in need. Here are the best food waste apps and services to help you do your part in ending food waste for good.
- You’re Doing Resolutions Wrong. Here’s How to Fix It – Dr. Laurie Santos, tenured psychology professor at Yale, dives into the science behind why so many of us get New Year resolutions so wrong – and how we can do better.
- 5 Toxic Habits That Destroy Your Morning and How to Avoid Them – In the words of Aristotle, ‘We are what we repeatedly do’. The smallest of actions, repeated every single day, can set the tone for our day each day. Here are some tips to start your day out on the right foot.
- Explore the Good – This is a great little piece by the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation. In a year that was challenging for everyone in many different ways, how can we ‘explore the good’ and turn negative thoughts or emotions into positive actions? This is a great list and exercise that might create comfort during difficult days.
Employer Focused Wellbeing
- How to Talk with Your Team About the Violence at the U.S. Capitol – Many leaders feel uncomfortable discussing current events that elicit strong opinions and emotions and so their default is to say nothing or make only a passing comment. This article discusses how you can engage in constructive dialogue, acknowledge the difficulty in processing this event, validate everyone’s perspectives and highlight additional resources.